Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Doing VO2 max tired

Today was VO2 max interval day--3 min with heart rate down to 120 bpm inbetween. I did these running, and as a treat, my husband Peter came with me. The CXC Intermediate training plan suggested 6 of these and the advanced plan suggested 7. I was aiming for 7, but it was a day when, as soon as I started out, I knew it was going to be tough. It felt like my lungs forgot how to exchange carbon dioxide for oxygen.

One hot summer day a couple of years ago, I stopped into Finn Sisu to get my pole tips sharpened and then, as usual, I solicited training advice from the guys who w0rk in the shop. Avho (owner and SNSF coach) happened to be in the shop, and he gave me some advice that I have come to respect: If you're tired, rest, don't force a workout.

I knew I was done today after 6--and maybe I should have heeded Avho's advice today and waited until tomorrow to do it. Whatever. I think I'm tired because of last Sunday's long run and the fact that I didn't take yesterday (Monday) off. I have to save my rest days for later in the week.

1 comment:

  1. Did you do the workout during the day today? In the heat and humidity?? Today was a rough day to do any sort of quality!!

    ReplyDelete